Saturday, November 9, 2013

Beetroot berry smoothie

So I thought I ought to share with you the smoothie that I've been drinking every morning for the past two weeks. I am completely addicted to the nutrient-packed combo of fruit and veg that goes into this... but not as obsessed as I am with the COLOUR. I love its deep, burgundy red tones. But don't be fooled into thinking this is sweet and fruity. I sprung this on my lovely friend Tara one morning over breakfast. Her reaction was a mixture of surprise, followed by denial... or perhaps disgust? And then acceptance. I wish I could have video-taped it. I'm proud of her for drinking it all.

Because, yes, it tastes like vegetables, but I love slurping my vegetables and smugly thinking about what an amazing start to the day I am giving my body. I mean, you'd never sit down and eat all these vegetables, raw, for breakfast. It's way too inefficient. This makes me feel full yet light, energetic, and totally ready for work every day.

Beetroot berry smoothie (vegan, gluten-free)

Notes: Makes just over one pint of smoothie.

Preparation is the key. I freeze what I can, already sliced, so that it's easy to just grab out of the freezer and dump into the blender. Also, I find that using a mixture of frozen and fresh fruit/veg gives this smoothie a nice thick texture and makes it icy cold, which is what I love! 

Add something like honey or maple syrup if you prefer your smoothies a bit sweeter. I personally find green grapes to be the perfect natural sweetener - they are so ridiculously sweet and delicious!

I usually team this with a slice of toast with one of my favourite toppings - avocado, peanut butter, marmite, tomato or tahini - and it keeps me super satisfied for the first three to four hours of the day!

Ingredients

Fresh:
About 4 1-inch wedges of beetroot (raw)
About 4 1-inch wedges of zucchini
A giant handful of spinach
3/4 - 1 cup of cold water

Frozen:
1/3 frozen banana
5 frozen grapes
3 tbsp mixed berries
2 tbsp sliced celery
1 frozen mint cube

Add ins:
1 tbsp cacao nibs
1 tbsp chia seeds

Garnish:
Cacao nibs and goji berries

Method

Place ingredients in the blender - first fresh ingredients, then frozen, then the add ins, then the cold water. I find that this order works best in my blender (Vitamix), meaning there is minimal tamping required! Add water depending on your taste - using 3/4 makes it nice and thick. Enjoy your fresh morning energy!


12 comments:

  1. You are so right, that color is amazing! Where did you get your straw? I was looking at buying some glass ones, but yours look like it'd be sturdier in my clumsy hands haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it from a shop called Biome here in Bris :-) I'm in love with it haha

      Delete
  2. Yummmmmm! This looks INCREDIBLE. If only I had a vitamix - my blender is on the way out, and I'm pretty sure that making it tackle beetroot could be the death-knell! I'll just have to jealously eye off your amazing smoothies instead xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah oh noooes! I couldn't live without a blender. I suppose you could try steaming the beetroot first and then storing a few days' supply in the fridge?! <3

      Delete
  3. Wow. I'm excited to have found your blog! This smoothie looks insane and your pics are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh, thank you so much, Emanuelle!

      Delete
  4. You can't go wrong with all the layers of healthy goodness in this smoothie! Love the addition of goji berries and cacao nibs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiran, love the crunch of the cacao nibs on top!

      Delete
  5. This smoothie is totally up my alley. It sounds lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh, I'm totally addicted! Thanks Katrina :D

      Delete
  6. Yep, that's right. Drank the whole thing.
    Felt like a superhero afterwards!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love hearing from you!