Sunday, November 3, 2013

Chai coconut almond butter

Hello, hello! Did you notice something different about my blog today? :D

I've had a makeover! The wonderful Reana Louise designed my new blog - the banner, the colours, the social media widgets, and menu buttons... and I think it looks amazing! She is an absolute whiz, and it would not have been anywhere close to possible for me to do this myself. Thank you so much, Re!

Making my own roasted nut butter has been on the blahg to-do list for quite sometime - ever since I won Joy's vanilla giveaway and vowed to make a roasted nut butter with the ahhhmazing bourbon-Madagascan-vanilla essence that she sent me (which I also rave about here). Today, I entered the magical land of roasted almond butter, and ohhh, and I'm so glad that I did!

This almond butter was lovingly slathered onto thin green apple slices and green grapes. But I think I'll have it on toast for breakfast tomorrow and maybe add a dollop into my smoothie for some toasted, creamy goodness. Just knowing that this now sits in my fridge makes me pretty excited.

This kinda shows you what the texture is like. At room temperature, it's creamy and runny, but when chilled it's a bit solidified - but still soft enough to scoop out with a spoon or knife!


Chai coconut almond butter (vegan, gluten-free)

Notes: Recipe directions are for a Vitamix. But you don't need a variable speed blender to make this. Everything can be dumped into a food processor and blitzed for around 5 minutes, but you need to scrape down the sides every so often until it forms a creamy mixture. I don't speak from experience, but I've seen it done here and here... among other places I don't even remember! But friends, it is totally possible to make nut butter in a food processor.

Keep refrigerated.

1 1/2 cups raw almonds, roasted at 180C degrees for around 15 minutes, or until fragrant (alternatively, buy them already roasted - there's no difference)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 clove
seeds of one cardamom pod
pinch of salt
1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla essence

Add the ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and cardamom seeds into a small spice grinder or alternatively a small mortar and pestle. Grind until everything is mixed into a fine powder.

Drop the almonds into the Vitamix blender bowl, and add the spice mix, salt and coconut oil. Start at variable speed 1 (very low) and blend for 15 seconds until roughly chopped. Slowly turn up to variable speed 10 and blend for around 30 seconds, using the tamper to push the mixture around. Aaaand you're done!

I'm sure this could work in other good blenders too, duh - and food processors, as noted above - but I can only vouch 100% for the directions given for the Vitamix.


10 comments:

  1. Yummm! Welcome to the world of nut butters. Mwahaha! You will now be addicted until the end of time. You wait until you learn how to make your own nutella, which is 10000 times better that the shop bought variety. But this chai version?! Looks divine (as does your new blog design!). XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god, I've already had this very sinister thought about home-made Nutella! What if one had some hazelnuts and some cacao already in the pantry?! It's a slippery slope...

      Thank you, lovely Harriet!

      Delete
  2. Looks yum. Also like the new blog aesthetics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Love the new design - Re you're a whiz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a whiz kid! Thanks Laura honehhh!

      Delete
  4. I will do new blogs for you anytime you bring this nutty payment to me! Omnomnomnomnom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man this looks goooood! You have used the vanilla well, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you approve vanilla lady, heheh!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love hearing from you!