Friday, November 29, 2013

Spiced beetroot and apple relish

I have just emerged from a profound addiction to beetroot. Yes, I'm doing fine, thanks. For a while there it just took over my life and my kitchen (and my mornings), but I now feel ready to talk about my beetroot problem. So let's talk about this beetroot relish. The whole lot was eaten in approximately 1.5 days, mainly by me, but I did spare one jar for my hungry hospital intern brother.

Beetroot galore.

This recipe is so easy if you have a food processor with a grater attachment - or anything similar (I'm sure there must be other gadgets which allow you to grate food at a fast speed that I don't know about). Basically, you just push all the veg through the grater, add to a stovetop casserole dish with a few spices and apple cider vinegar, and you're done. It just simmers there for two hours or so, while you read/vacuum/ogle at blogs. It might be the easiest relish I've ever made. Maybe.

Spiced beetroot and apple relish (vegan, gluten-free)

Notes: Makes around 1 and a half pints of relish (about 750 ml, or basically two big jars full!)
For grating the veg, if you don't have a food processor with a grater attachment, just use a box grater and be happy that at least your arm is getting a workout.

Ingredients

600g beetroot (about 2 large beetroots), peeled if desired - I just left the skin on and scrubbed any dirt off
250g apples (about 2 apples) - I used red delicious
1 red onion, peeled
2 tbsp grapeseed oil (or your favourite cooking oil)
60g / 1/4 cup raw sugar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
60ml / 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cups water
3/4 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
salt

Method

Chop the beetroot, apples and red onion into chunks that will fit into your food processor for grating, and grate everything up. Or if you're using a box grater (let's call it handmade relish), get grating.

Add the oil, grated beetroot, apple, red onion and raw sugar into a large stovetop casserole dish with a generous pinch of salt. Cook over a medium-low heat for around 20 minutes or so, stirring often.

Next, add the balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and a cup of the water. Add more salt if you like at this stage. Stir through, turn the heat down to low, and leave to simmer for an hour or so. Come back and stir it occasionally.

Add the garam masala, cinnamon and yellow mustard seeds and the second cup of water. Leave to simmer for another hour. The beetroot really does take a long time to soften up!

It should be ready after 2 hours of simmering. 

Spoon into preserving jars and keep in the fridge.

Serving suggestions (tried and tested):
- with cheese (a creamy blue or a sharp cheese)
- with eggs and toast, with some rocket leaves on the side
- as a condiment on top of curry
- spread on toast with some grated cheese and black pepper

Do you luuuuurve preseeeerves? Look what else I did:
Spicy tomato relish (my first blog post!)


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful idea…sounds like it would be an amazing sandwich spread! I have three big beetroots sitting in the fridge and I need to use them before the greens get all wilted. And there's nothing wrong with a beetroot addiction, although I always wondered if I'd turn magenta after too long. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irina! Haven't turned magenta yet, thankfully haha! We don't really celebrate Thanksgiving in Aus, it's way too hot to be slaving over a roast in the kitchen heheh, but hope you had a good one :-)

      Delete
  2. This looks crazily, ridiculously delicious and easy and wonderful! I think I'm in serious need of some. Right now. Thanks Hannah! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love hearing from you!